Sunday, February 17, 2008

It's all about who you know...

Up until last week, I always thought people said that just to feel important about the "famous" people they knew. But I've come to realize...that's really the best way to find a job especially coming right out of college.

Last friday, I was working at the info desk and a man stopped by to talk to me in passing (like most people do.) He asked my year and major so I told him. Then he asked what kind of things I've done, I told him. Then he asked me if I wanted to go to New York. I said, "YES!" He then tells me that he lives in New York, knows the producer for Katie Couric's CBS Evening News, AND he lives next door to Stephen Colbert! He hands me his card and says, "Send me an email with your resume and I'll see what I can do for you." I asked him how he knew about Westminster and he told me he graduated from here and he is now a trustee at the college!

I tweaked my resume and sent it off to him on Wednesday. All I can do now is wait and see if anything comes out of it. So it really is all about who you know. So really with 2 degrees of separation...I know Stephen Colbert!

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Ah- what number did you just check off from Dr. B's CHECKLIST FOR SUCCESS?