Friday, February 8, 2008

Real World Experience??

So I was an anchor for this weeks edition of The County Line with my good friend, Chris Norris. I was really excited about this week because I love working with Chris; we get along well and work well together. Those good feelings didn't last long. We got to the pre-show meeting and were going over the rundown. We only have two play back machines, but we wanted to run a VO and a VO-SOT back to back. Needless to say this required precision on everyone's part to work well and look good. During the run-through we didn't run the tapes all the way through for that particular transition, we just went through the script. So, when it came time to go live Chris and I were confused and the packages didn't go well and we looked like idiots. During our post production meeting Chris and I, along with a couple others, were called out in the middle of the meeting for being responsible for the failure of this transition. Initially, I was shocked and a little appalled! That's rude to call somebody out in the middle of a meeting, especially for something that wasn't entirely their fault. If you have a problem with them pull them aside and talk to them privately.

But the more I think about the situation the more I realize this was a valuable learning experience. I'm sure things like this happen in a real newsroom all the time. I need to learn to take responsibility for my mistakes and be willing to admit when I've done wrong. While there may have been other ways of handling the situation I think it happened this way for a reason and I'm a little wiser for it.

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

I used an image of Max Headroom in one of my blog entries this week.