Saturday, April 5, 2008

Finally Making Progress

This week was super busy for me, but I feel like I got a lot of things accomplished. There were three major things that happened this week.

First, I got to interview Emmy award winning media critic and author, Eric Burns. He is a 1967 Westminster alum who came to speak for the Bleasby Colloquium. I was a little nervous at first because this was a big deal! Mr. Weaver came to me and asked me to do the interview because he wanted someone who was experienced and well-spoken (thanks for the ego-boost). The interview went very well and it also gives me another "celebrity" interview to put on my resume.

Secondly, I FINALLY met with Tom McKinley, the president of the New Wilmington Chamber of Commerce about my capstone project! Our meeting went extremely well and I feel so much better about things. This meeting lifted a HUGE weight off my shoulders. Tom gave me numerous ideas for things he wants in this video and that was very encouraging. He also gave me the names of some other people I might want to get in contact with to get more video or pictures from past events. I now have direction for my whole project and I feel a thousand times better about things. I'm really excited to get started on the whole process. Tom seemed really excited about the whole thing as well so that's encouraging!

Finally, I was also responsible for putting together a package for The County Line this week. To be completely honest I kind of forgot about it until about Wednesday night because of the whole Eric Burns thing. After my meeting with Tom on Thursday I was still without a package and it was 2 pm; TCL starts at 7:30. I was going to do a package about the blood drive, but when I walked down there no one was there! So I decided to take things into my own hands and donate blood myself and take the camera along and try to make a package out of that. It wasn't the best package in the least, but it was shot, edited, and dubbed to tape in 2 1/2 hours. The whole experience of trying to put something together out of nothing made me realize that I do have what it takes to survive in this business. It may be EXTREMELY stressful at times, but in the end it really is rewarding.

I still don't know what I want to do when I leave WC. I have 42 days left to figure it out.

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

I forgot to write down the time of your presentation. I had lunch...but that could be anytime. Drop me an e-mail to remind me please.